I have written a draft for the Reporting Bugs guide

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Tue May 9 16:53:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gustavo Silva:
>>
>> Please, do it right this time.
>

> Seems legit, except because that degree of agreement doesn't seem possible.

What degree of agreement was there before you unilaterally decided to
replace the existing page with the one you have been working on?

> Just see the latest email from J, for example. He basically suggested that
> everything is wrong, half of which was already like that in the original
> guide.

The difference between your version and the previous version (as I
pointed out twice) is that you took all the context, explanation and
alternatives OUT of the original version, reducing it to essentially a
bunch of barely or not-at-all explained terminal commands.  If you
believe my comments to be erroneous or mitigated by some other
information in your new version, please do provide refutation of my
points.  I will gladly admit to a bit of nit picking in some places.
You asked for discussion, you said no one disagreed with you.  I just
disagreed with you.

I have no issue at all with removing cruft from technical
documentation.  I have issues with removing the context that informs
newbies WHY they shouldn't do something, leaving them no further
explanation beyond "run this command, I'm not going to tell you why,
or what to expect, or how to navigate the menus and options, but just
run this command".

These pages are NOT for people who know how to file bugs and don't
need the education.  They are for people who don't know how to file
the bugs and need to learn how and when to do so.

> If I had to deal with that I would spend months just for one page, and he
> finally would disagree. That's the kind of criticism I receive 100% of time

I'm not the only person who disagreed, and that's a lot of conjecture
assuming my opinions on this (or any) topic are immutable.