call for testing: snapcraft

Leo Arias leo.arias at canonical.com
Fri Mar 24 22:42:17 UTC 2017

Hello!

We are working on the final details of the snapcraft 2.28 release, and
it is now in the proposed pocket of both xenial and yakkety.
So, if you want to help us, we will appreciate a lot if you can give it a try.

And because we recently had a testing day about lxd [1], lets mix
everything up. To get a clean xenial or yakkety machine:

$ sudo snap install lxd
$ sudo lxd init
# Just accepting the defaults is usually alright.
$ sudo lxc launch ubuntu:xenial

or change xenial in that last command for yakkety. This will print two
words that are the name of the container. They are random and usually
funny, mine for example is known-rat. So to get a shell in the
container, I would run:

$ sudo lxc exec known-rat bash
root at known-rat:~#

And now every command you execute will be done in the container. Feel
free to experiment and try to break things that your host is safe.
Enter the exit command to go back to your host, and delete the machine
with

$ sudo lxc delete --force known-rat

But do not delete it yet! The idea is to enable proposed in the
container. If you exited, run the exec bash command again. And now,
install snapcraft in the container:

root at known-rat:~# apt update && apt install snapcraft
root at known-rat:~# snapcraft -v
2.27.1

This is the latest released snapcraft. Now add one line to the
sources. You can install your preferred editor in the container with
apt, or use nano to open /etc/apt/sources.list:

root at known-rat:~# nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add this line:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-proposed restricted main
multiverse universe

Save the file and run:

root at known-rat:~# apt update && apt install snapcraft
root at known-rat:~# snapcraft -v
2.28

Just by doing this you have checked that the update process worked.
Thanks for your help :D
If you are new to snapcraft and don't know where to go from here, this
is a nice tutorial to follow:
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/create-first-snap#0
And if you want to test more, here's a testing guide for this release:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapcraft/+bug/1675391/comments/1

We need to run extensive tests in xenial and yakkety, and it wouldn't
hurt to do zesty too. For that one just use ubuntu:zesty on the lxc
launch command.

If you get lost, have questions or want to report your results, just
reply here on the list. And if you find something weird or a clear
bug, please report it! https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapcraft/

Have a nice weekend.
pura vida

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrJ3sKvQ-W0