Copy on Write - Dirty COW Kernel bug

Alberto Salvia Novella es20490446e at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 21:09:55 UTC 2016

Ian Bruntlett:
> At one stage Software Updater would run and give you details about
> updates in a window. I miss that. Is there a configuration setting for that?

If I set security updates to download and install automatically,
Software Updater will never show up. Instead updates are installed
silently in the background.

Exceptionally, if the computer hasn't been used for a long time, it
could happen that Software Updater actually asks me to upgrade. But the
behaviour seems to be that, if there's a security update, to do all the
updates in the background.

So as long as you have the computer configured to check for updates
daily, and security updates to download and install automatically, any
exploit shall get patched in the next boot.