Automated Testing for Flavors -- Update

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Fri Mar 4 20:44:02 UTC 2016

It's been an up and down cycle with mostly failing Autopilot tests for
Ubiquity automated testing. I wanted to re-iterate Max's status updates
as to what's going on so people understand what will exist for help with
testing the final images for Xenial.

What's been happening:
Max has been working on various automated tests for images all cycle. In
addition to these test for ubiquity, Max is also working on automated
smoke tests, upgrade tests, etc. The AP tests for ubiquity are fragile
and can often break, especially as Ubiquity changes. That's been
happening for some time sadly. The goal is still to have them running
for Final Beta, but time is running out.

  * You can see the runs here: http://162.213.34.238:8080/. They are not
nice or pretty, but they do exist!

What we need:

* Folks to come and hack on the tests and fix them! Not just fix them,
but look after them and expand them to keep them running. Everything you
need to know is in the source tree. Branch lp:ubiquity and look at the
README in the autopilot folder. Ask questions if needed. The tests
themselves aren't too difficult to understand, but gtk2 is painful to
automate at times. Dan has done wonderful work in writing and stepping
in to fix them on occasion, but he's also writing the wonderful dekko
mail client. It's time for others to jump in, if they are interested!

* More tests! Some have suggested simple tests such as merely attempting
to boot the image. These tests are trivial to write since the hardwork
of getting the environment ready and running them is already in place.
Using autopilot or not, if you have a simple test idea it can probably
be added and run.

* A nicer way to grok the test output. Simon has recently begun reviving
the API for the tracker, and it would be lovely to somehow display the
results on the tracker. Writing a scipt to add a test result submission
against the daily test would be simple to do!

* We've now hit issues with scalability of hardware, so I'm looking to
get a dedicated machine for this. I know we turned down hardware in the
past, but it is now becoming a problem. Obviously it's lower priority as
the reality is these tests have proven harder to keep running than
imagined. As such, folks willing to stick with them would be wonderful!