Fwd: The grep disaster

Alberto Salvia Novella es20490446e at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 02:18:57 UTC 2016

PHP Fan:
 > As far as I understand, Launchpad is the place where all bugs are
 > tracked, no matter how important.

Excuse my brief and mysterious way of writing.

What I do myself if to set importance to all the confirmed bugs, so
where to begin is always warranted to be known.

On the other hand we cannot tell if a bug is more or less important when
posted in this mailing list, so that's why we won't jump into those.

PHP Fan:
 > Regardless of the effort of fixing the bug, is it that difficult to
 > roll back the package to a version that is not completely broken??

It would take mostly the same time to fix this bug than to revert the
package to a previous version. The difference is that reverting usually
breaks new things.

PHP Fan:
 > Isn't that part of the job of a distribution's maintainers, and
 > especially of a team calling itself the "Quality" team, to take such
 > kind of actions?

Most people here isn't paid for the job, and they do it just for the
willingness of helping.

Moreover this particular bug affected only one known person. So this is
why it received that little attention, because just one person worldwide
seems to be annoyed enough by it.

Meanwhile:
(https://goo.gl/MCR5Ht)
(https://goo.gl/0ycxvw)

C de-Avillez:
 > You may want to poke upstream about that.

I think Carlos is right. Upstream could point directly to a patch, or
even fix the bug themselves for you.

In any case thanks for reporting.