Libre graphics could become the standard if we push right now

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 09:57:06 UTC 2016

On Jan 14, 2016 5:11 PM, "Zlatan Todoric" <zlatan at riseup.net> wrote:

> On 01/14/2016 09:11 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> > Nearly all compact Linux computers feasible for gaming are sold
> > exclusively using NVIDIA graphics, and that company is hostile to libre
> > software.
> >
> > So I think it is very important that we support AMD right now on what we
> > can, and ask manufacturers to include AMD graphics in those products.
> >

> You do realize that AMD graphics need proprietary firmware to have
> proper 3D acceleration without which you probably couldn't run any game
> at all - so goodbye Libre graphics.

Besides that, AMD's fglrx require X to be running in order to run while
nVidia does not (kinda sucks if you have a bunch of 8 card nodes using the
cards for scientific applications). Also, in this setting, there were a lot
more issues with AMD than nVidia (soft crashes, hard crashes, cards going
offline until reboot).

I'm not a big gamer, so maybe there are less issues with AMD in this
setting. And I'd be thrilled if either fglrx or nv were OSS (would weigh
heavily on purchasing decisions). However, because AMD really pissed me off
here, I had to say something here.