There's an idiot mass-closing old unfixed bugs

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 18 20:52:07 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 11:53:54AM -0400, Thomas Ward wrote:
> Teo,
>
> On 04/16/2016 11:28 AM, Teo Tei wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to bring your attention to the harmful conduct of a user
> > handling bugs in Launchpad.
> >
> > There's this "dino99", who is closing several bug reports just
> > "because they are old", regardless of whether they are fixed or not. I
> > think he should be stopped before he keeps doing damage.
> I think this needs to be evaluated from a bug triage procedure point of
> view.
>
> When a report is filed against an old release and not yet fixed, but the
> report hasn't been updated with comments indicating the issue is either
> fixed or still existent in the future releases, I would mark as
> "Incomplete" with a canned comment similar to "The reported release for
> this bug is now past End of Life, and is no longer supported for that
> release.  It is unclear if this bug still exists or not, so I am marking
> the bug as Incomplete.  If this issue is still confirmed in a
> currently-supported release of Ubuntu, then please make a comment to
> that effect, and set the bug status to New."

I personally think that is disrespectful of the work the bug reporter
may have put into the bug report.  Additionally, lots of bugs do persist
from release to release and plenty of packages use the same version
across multiple releases.  Subsequently, I think bug triagers should
make and effort to recreate the bug report and if there is insufficient
information then proceed down the Incomplete path.

> I am not going to look through all your bugs, but the typical triage
> procedure *is* to Close or Invalid or Incomplete (or Won't Fix for
> series-targeted task items) EOL-release bugs.  Back a couple years after
> Karmic went End of Life, I went through and, with the API, mass closed
> at least 70 bugs still targeted to the Karmic release.

I agree that release tasks for End of Life releases should be closed.
However, there were no release tasks for the bug in question so this
isn't relevant to this person's issue.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master