replacing the Startup Disk Creator

Alberto Salvia Novella es20490446e at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 18:17:29 UTC 2015

Marc Deslauriers:
> Most of those bugs are are either for ancient releases of Ubuntu that are no
> longer supported, can't be reproduced, affect specific hardware, or are wishlist
> items.

Okay, so they should be these:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bugs?field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.importance%3Alist=CRITICAL&field.importance%3Alist=HIGH&field.tag=trusty+vivid+wily>

Your pointing was right, the situation is not that bad.

Nio Wiklund
 > A big problem with the SDC is that new and severe bugs appear with new
 > versions of Ubuntu.

That's also true. While setting importance to most bugs in Ubuntu, I
usually find the Disk Creator having several problems. On the other hand
it seems that Canonical is fixing them.

Perhaps refactoring the application to be more resilient could help. On
the other side Unetbooting seems a good all rounded and well designed
application, although it usually contain disk images for old releases only.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre:
 > The thing with helping on forums is you're most likely to see only
 > the "bad" side of things.

What I see is that most of the times in these seven years using Ubuntu I
tried to create a start-up disk in the Disk Creator something has failed
prominently.

It's normal to software to have bugs, but if the bugs appear shortly
after launching the application then it's plainly not serving its purpose.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre:
 > There are relatively few issues in total with usb-creator if you look
 > at the bug reports carefully enough.

Another possibility is that many people already has given up the tool,
so they are no longer reporting bugs.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre:
 > It's written in python. Relatively simple python at that too,
 > otherwise my little brain would likely have a lot of trouble dealing
 > with it ;)

If it's written in Python, then it should be great! 😉

Probably the problem is not technical, but can be improved by
coordinating with the development of external libraries.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre:
 > For the time being, like I've expressed elsewhere, there seems to be
 > no other project with is as reliable, as easy to use, and as easily
 > maintainable.

There are applications where you rarely find bugs when using them, while
others have obvious flaws. And that doesn't seem to be related with how
complex they are, or even how much people use them.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre:
 > The trouble is, unetbootin is complicated.

But more important from the user perspective, it works!