Fwd: Ubuntu Online Summit (3-5 Nov): Get your sessions in

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Tue Oct 27 13:24:12 UTC 2015

On 10/24/2015 04:18 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi Nicholas and Marc,
> [replying inline]
> Best regards
> Nio
>
> Den 2015-10-23 kl. 22:09, skrev Marc Deslauriers:
>> Hi,

>> Whoops, sorry for not replying earlier, I didn't notice the thread.

>>> http://summit.ubuntu.com/getinvolved/propose-a-session/. You want a discussion
>>> session. I can help if it's still confusing, but see below. Sounds like you
>>> might not want a session anymore.
> If the problems with the SDC can be solved without a session, it is a
> waste of effort and time to arrange a session for it.

>>> Seems you have some things to discuss, but it doesn't have to be a session if
>>> you don't want it to be. Since we've settled on not changing the default, the
>>> impact is certainly lessened and indeed there is less to discuss. It's up to
>>> you. We should start a new thread to discuss your questions though if you want
>>> to go that route. Perhaps a status from Marc would help also.
> Yes, I'm glad that both of you have replied now :-)
>
>> I did work on SDC before I went on holiday. I haven't looked at it since I came
>> back, but I believe it was usable. I ripped out all the unused code, and it now
>> simply copies the image to the USB device, which should make it reliable and
>> able to work with all the different flavours.
>>
>> I'll try and get it packaged in a PPA early next week if anyone wants to test it.
> Yes, I want to test it, just tell me when it is ready for testing, and I
> hope several other people will test it too.

>> I think this is the best solution for now, and if everyone is in agreement, I
>> think I'll ask that it gets uploaded to Xenial.
> +1

>>> I think I'm in this camp. Keep the default as simple as possible. More advanced
>>> usage can advocate other tools. And there's no reason they can be packaged in
>>> the ubuntu archives so they are easy to get.
>> I think recommending an alternative such as mkusb is probably the best solution
>> too, but I don't have any objection if someone wants to add a persistence mode
>> back in SDC...perhaps as a non-default option (maybe even requiring it to be
>> launched with a command line option for it to show up in the GUI...).
>>
>> Marc.
>>
> I'm open for both of these alternatives (with and without persistence).
> I have tried to get people's opinion about it at the Ubuntu Forums, but
> there are not many replies or votes, and there is no overwhelming
> indication in either direction. (But most votes and replies indicate
> that *something* must be done with the SDC to make it work in a reliable
> way.)
>
> Maybe there will be more opinion, when your version of the SDC is
> uploaded to the repo, Marc. In that case we can help deciding what to do
> and maybe help doing it.
>
> -o-
>
> One thing we have not yet discussed is re-using the pendrive. It is more
> [...]
I would say this too would be "advanced" usage, and for simplicity and
robustness sake, it shouldn't be in SDC. I'm glad to hear mkusb has
those options so alternatives exist. I don't want to stray too far off
topic, but I think it would be useful to get mkusb in the archives. I'm
not sure where the project or source code lives, but consider getting it
accepted into debian / ubuntu so it will be a part of the next LTS.

Nicholas