Google Code In Mentoring

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Wed Nov 18 18:31:25 UTC 2015

As you may have heard, ubuntu has been selected as a mentoring
organization for Google Code In (GCI). GCI is a opportunity for high
school students to learn about and participate in open source
communities. Mentoring organizations create tasks and review the
students work. Google then provides rewards for those students who do
the best work. The contest runs from December 7, 2015 to January 25, 2016.

That means we need to come up with a list of tasks for students to work
on, as well as mentors to review the tasks and help the students. This
is an excellent opportunity to help introduce students to the ubuntu
community, grow the list of potential contributors, and get some tasks
done. We've put together a wiki page to answer specific questions about
mentoring and what it entails[1], as well as a community portal that
describes our role and goals for the contest[2]. You can create a be a
mentor for as little as a single task, and we appreciate all the tasks
and mentors we get.

I know we have some outstanding tasks and needs within the quality
community, as well as some folks who would be excellent mentors for
these tasks. I would urge you all to consider helping by creating tasks
and volunteering to be a mentor. If you have any questions or would like
to volunteer, don't hesitate to get in touch. Thanks everyone!

Nicholas

1. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleCodeIn
2. http://community.ubuntu.com/google-code-in/