Volunteers needed -- Automated Image Testing for flavors

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Thu Jul 30 20:14:01 UTC 2015

On 07/29/2015 04:01 PM, Nicholas Skaggs wrote:
> Greetings everyone! I wanted to share some news about a renewed effort
> to restore automated installer testing of ubiquity using the daily
> images generated by cdimage. Up until last cycle, the images were
> being test automatically via a series of autopilot tests, written
> originally by the community (kudos to you Dan!). It was noticed the
> tests didn't run this cycle, and wxl accordingly filed an RT;
> https://rt.ubuntu.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=26570. In short, as part
> of some datacenter shuffling, we learned it's no longer possible for
> CI to run or maintain the tests. They recommended we host and run them
> ourselves as a community.
>
> With the directions from CI in hand, I initially asked DanChapman and
> dkessel to investigate setting up a jenkins to run these tests. But
> they need your help! The autopilot tests for ubiquity have a few bugs
> that need solving. You can see them here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bugs?field.tag=autopilot.
>
> To help solve these bugs or to learn more, check out this document:
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-installer/ubiquity/trunk/view/head:/autopilot/README.md.
> It will guide you through running the tests yourself locally. You
> should be able to replicate the tests following those instructions.
> From there, patches and comments on the bugs would be most welcome (as
> would additional bug reports should you find them).
>
> Even with the tests working, however, we still need to setup a jenkins
> to run them. We'll also need to maintain this server. Anyone with
> experience or desire in this area? Ideas for reporting results (on the
> isotracker for instance) also need to be explored. This is likely to
> involve some python, and potentially some web work. Is anyone interested?
>
> If you have some technical skills and want to help out, please do get
> in touch with myself, DanChapman or dkessel. The goal behind this
> effort is to see these tests be useful again this cycle for image
> testing and lowering the burden for manual testers.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nicholas
Thanks to everyone who expressed an interest! I've created a document
that will help answer your questions about what we are trying to do, and
perhaps generate some more. http://bit.ly/1IO103i
<http://t.co/Rj0w6yQefI>. Please leave your feedback and ideas inside
the document.

In addition, for all those who are able and want to help out, we'll be
having a meeting tomorrow, July 31st, at 1900 UTC in #ubuntu-quality on
freenode. We'll go over the document, and finalize the plan of work.
We'll also start to divvy up the needed tasks and pick a good day and
time for future meetings as needed. If you miss the first one, don't
worry, stay involved.

You can join the channel easily via webchat;
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu-quality

I hope to see you there!