Volunteers needed -- Automated Image Testing for flavors

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Wed Jul 29 20:01:06 UTC 2015

Greetings everyone! I wanted to share some news about a renewed effort
to restore automated installer testing of ubiquity using the daily
images generated by cdimage. Up until last cycle, the images were being
test automatically via a series of autopilot tests, written originally
by the community (kudos to you Dan!). It was noticed the tests didn't
run this cycle, and wxl accordingly filed an RT;
https://rt.ubuntu.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=26570. In short, as part of
some datacenter shuffling, we learned it's no longer possible for CI to
run or maintain the tests. They recommended we host and run them
ourselves as a community.

With the directions from CI in hand, I initially asked DanChapman and
dkessel to investigate setting up a jenkins to run these tests. But they
need your help! The autopilot tests for ubiquity have a few bugs that
need solving. You can see them here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bugs?field.tag=autopilot.

To help solve these bugs or to learn more, check out this document:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-installer/ubiquity/trunk/view/head:/autopilot/README.md.
It will guide you through running the tests yourself locally. You should
be able to replicate the tests following those instructions. From there,
patches and comments on the bugs would be most welcome (as would
additional bug reports should you find them).

Even with the tests working, however, we still need to setup a jenkins
to run them. We'll also need to maintain this server. Anyone with
experience or desire in this area? Ideas for reporting results (on the
isotracker for instance) also need to be explored. This is likely to
involve some python, and potentially some web work. Is anyone interested?

If you have some technical skills and want to help out, please do get in
touch with myself, DanChapman or dkessel. The goal behind this effort is
to see these tests be useful again this cycle for image testing and
lowering the burden for manual testers.

Thanks!