Final Image Testing for Utopic!

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 13:50:14 UTC 2014

Hi Barry,

On 26 October 2014 22:16, Barry Drake <ubuntu.barry at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't a clue what the $vt_handoff parameter is, or where it came
> from.  You might want to search for it. The line you want HAS to put the
> nomodeset parameter BEFORE the quiet splash THUS:
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-23-generic root=UUID=etc ro nomodeset quiet
> splash

$vt_handoff might be lubuntu specific. Which variety of Ubuntu are you
using?

I take it you are using a programmers editor that doesn't put stuff in
> behind your back?  gedit is OK for example.

My problem is with the display. Can't login because of it, can't run an
editor because of that. However, Grub does have a built-in editor (press
SHIFT keys down when BIOS screen appears, move to desired line and press
'e' to edit the appropriate entries. I did that with your recommendation.
So I've just tried:-

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-23-generic root=UUID=etc ro nomodeset quiet
splash

Also... quick question. I have tried googling for Kernel paramters but
found nothing authoritative. Would you mind either telling me what the
quiet and splash parameters do or point me in the direction of a relevant
web page?

Still perservering!

BW,

Ian