Final Image Testing for Utopic!

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 21 22:41:56 UTC 2014

Ian Bruntlett said:
> I have tested 2 lubuntu images.

Which ones? At this point you should be checking the images here:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/325/builds

Judging by your message, you were using the alternate version. You
have come across two fixed bugs.

> The first one displayed a blank screen
> where a login screen should have been visible.

The bug report that should be related to this one is here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/1371651
This bug existed in the release of Beta2 (20140926), but was fixed in
the daily image 20140929.

> The other one failed to
> install, the key error message from the installer being "No installable
> kernel was found in the defined APT sources". The installer still installed
> the packages. On booting, as could be expected, there was no kernel and the
> system boots straight into memtest86+

The bug report that should be related to this one is here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/1380774
Note this fix came with the 20141017.1 image version of the Final release.

> Originally I didn't post anything because by the time I found them, they
> were already listed on the appropriate Ubuntu web pages. What would you
> prefer I do in future? Report only bugs that haven't been listed? Or report
> listed bugs with info about how a known bug affects my particular test
> system?

I would suggest searching for similar bug reports (you would have
found them easily) and/or looking for what other people are reporting
on the tracker for the relevant day. If you get these problems that no
one else gets, it's pretty unlikely.

However, the possibility exists of some sort of regression. I find it
unlikely, but it's possible. If you are using the right image and have
checked the md5 (use zsync, it does it for you), please get in touch
ASAP.

--
@wxl
Lubuntu Release Manager, Head of QA