Please, review this Bugs Importances draft

Alberto Salvia Novella es20490446e at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 06:46:55 UTC 2014

Thomas Ward:
> As well, why do you need the sticky notes picture at the bottom?  For
> those of us who occasionally check the importances on our phones,
> you're adding additional unnecessary images for my tiny little phone
> to download.

The reason why I put these images at the bottom, without really
realizing that perhaps it was inappropriate for some devices, was
plainly for making the experience of navigating through pages meaningful
and enjoyable.

And I have heavily optimized these images for being as fast as possible
to load without compromising visual quality, in contrast to many
web-sites that load tons of high resolution images.

For example, the notes image only takes 82.3 KB. For taking 5 MB you
need to have visit 60 pages for the first time, so it wouldn't be a
problem. But correct me if I'm mistakes, since I don't use any mobile
device.

Thomas Ward:
 > I think we should ***extremely limit*** the number of
 > images we put in bugs documentation.  Bare minimum.

Except in the case that bandwidth usage is too high, I shall disagree
with that, as people is 20 times more prone to engage if there's some
kind of visual. Or more specific, it's joyful to have those; which is
not too little.

If we want to attract people to help us we will want to make it fun for
most human beings, not only for those who are crazy enough to spend
their spare time reading documentation and going into complex processes
as triaging is.

If the goal is to make it serious, I think it's serious in the dull
sense of the word.

Thomas Ward:
 > Also, why do we need a picture of
 > what we mean by "importance" on a launchpad bug?  Is it really
 > necessary to have that image there?

While the above could be considered, I think this image is a must.

Even when school teaches people that words are as much important (or
more) than visuals or kinesthetics; neuroscience has discovered that
human beings processes sounds in their brain in a separate channel than
images or tact; and this channel is much more inefficient in regard of
memory, speed or meaning.

Having this image in page makes the explanation direct. Taking it makes
the user to need to work through it.

We people that work in projects like this usually forget that we are
habitually in the top 10% of most intelligent population in the world.
While most humans will find that reading documentation is for them the
same as reading an encrypted message.

And this is just fine, because this how a human brain works by design.
The rest is trained.

Brendan Perrine:
 > I also really don't understand the point of the sticky note image. I
 > find it just makes my screen look like it is cluttered if I see
 > anything on it from the desktop.

What you mean?

Regards.