What if users warned about critical bugs?

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 21 16:20:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:
> C de-Avillez:
>>
>> I will try to stress the above a bit more: users in general will always
>> assume their bug is high/critical (it is, by definition, affecting their
>> work!).
>>
>> We did have it, sort of, on for a while -- and we found that importance
>> would have to be controlled. We used to spend a nice amount of time
>> correcting importance. Samewise with moving to triaged, or fix released,
>> or wontfix.
>

> What do you see when you look at <http://tinyurl.com/qefxjoo>?

I am pretty sure I know the definitions for importance values but,
anyway, thank you for pointing them to me.

This, on the other hand, does not explain or justify giving end-users
access to setting importance (or even understanding how to set it).
Our experience on Ubuntu, and my personal experience when doing
support work professionally, still shows me that end-users should not
have access to importance, as implemented in LP. So, even if we are to
allow end-users (the original posters) to email BugControl stating a
bug is critical -- but *NOT* changing importance directly -- I have
serious doubts about how effective it will be.

This would be different if LP supported user-view of importance and
impact *separate* from bug importance as seen by the technical
resource -- developer or triager. But it does not.

Going on. We can try, perhaps by setting a new ML for that. But
definitely NOT by having the OP email BugControl. We can then verify
how much overhead it will be. At least for the beginning, I do not
expect many emails, but that might change as this new channel gets to
be known.