Hello

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 3 17:54:43 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Nicholas Skaggs
<nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com> wrote:

>> I note that the iso images won't fit on a CD and this is listed as a bug.
> The team still endeavors to keep them as small as possible, but
> they gave up so to speak staying under the cd size limit. USB keys are the
> primary way to consume the image now; that and burning a dvd if you need
> pressed physical media.

Yep, totally true.

The only caveat is that Lubuntu has been trying for quite a while to
keep under CD size. The reason for this is our commitment to keep
those old machines out of the scrap heap. Many of them have various
and sundry issues with USB and DVD. I know what you all are thinking,
but we try hard to be the netBSD of the Ubuntu family. ;)

I am confident we can guarantee this for the Alternate images but I
know at the end of the cycle, PPC (which we chose not to release for
other reasons) and i386 were outside normal CD size. We tried to fix
this in vain. I'm not sure we will be able to continue to allow for
this unless we start slimming Lubuntu down even more. It's already
pretty slim.

The other thing to consider is that our development is focused on
dropping the GTK toolkit in lieu of Qt. What impact this will have on
the images is uncertain. The Qt version of LXDE is coming along nicely
but it's not complete. Additionally, there are applications to think
about.

I would keep a watch on the Lubuntu/Testing wiki which now has an
updates section:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing#Updates

I should draw your attention specifically to the blueprints for 15.04:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/topic-v-flavor-lubuntu

--
@wxl
Lubuntu Release Manager, Head of QA