This needs attention

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Wed May 28 01:09:21 UTC 2014

On 05/27/2014 03:51 PM, C de-Avillez wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella
> <es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 27/05/14 16:56, C de-Avillez wrote:
>>> A technical opinion on a technical issue will rule out every other
>>> opinion until proved wrong.
>>
>> Summarizing: for confirming this bug, you need to provide a series of steps
>> that will break GRUB consistently.
>>
>> Till then the appropriate status for the report is "opinion".
>>
> Actually, even then I would rather have a new bug opened. This one is
> done and gone :-)

Well, I've been under the weather and traveling and didn't see this post
until now. Many thanks to those level-headed folks who stepped into the
discussion here.

As to the bug, if it is affecting you, the best thing you can do is to
recreate the problem. After the problem has happened again, use
ubuntu-bug to file a new bug and describe how you arrived at the
problem. Try and simplify creating the problem to isolate what is
triggering it. This is all work you as an end-user can do that greatly
helps a developer actually solve the bug. The next time a bug of yours
is marked as invalid or opinion, take that as an oppurtunity to file a
more complete bug report that will allow someone to properly confirm it;
learn from it. Instead of attacking a developer, ask someone to help you
understand what data is missing / needed and how you can obtain it. Stay
constructive!

Finally, it's important to heed the advice of those who can help you. As
Scott side, software can be furstrating, and working within a community
can be too. Let's keep the CoC in mind; we are all here because we care
about making ubuntu better.

Nicholas