Fwd: [Ubuntu-phone] Call For Testing: Split Greeter

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Tue Mar 25 17:41:35 UTC 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Ubuntu-phone] Call For Testing: Split Greeter
Date: 	Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:50:20 -0400
From: 	Michael Terry <michael.terry at canonical.com>
To: 	Ubuntu Touch <ubuntu-phone at lists.launchpad.net>

Hello! Â The split greeter feature is almost ready, so I wanted to get
some wider testing.

The "split greeter feature" refers to moving the welcome screen out of
the unity8 executable and into its own process, managed by LightDM as a
proper system greeter. Â (This is necessary for proper security and
supporting multiple users.)

Note that the only visual change is going to be the boot animation.
 Everything else is under-the-hood changes.  So prepare to be
underwhelmed (hopefully -- ideally you're not whelmed by bugs).

I'd especially appreciate testing around interactions between the
greeter and the rest of the system (phone calls, texts, launching apps,
unlocking sim card).

Here's how to test:
$ ubuntu-device-flash --channel=trusty-proposed
$ adb shell
# add-apt-repository ppa:ci-train-ppa-service/landing-004
# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade
# exit
$ adb reboot

Known Mir bugs in this PPA being worked on:
- Screen turns on again by itself after being turned off -- turning back
on and off will fix temporarily
- Entering text in OSK keyboard "passes through" and also acts as clicks
in shell. Â And it won't dismiss. Â So be careful about using keyboard.

Other issues not yet represented in that PPA:
- Final boot animation (it will use Ubuntu logo instead of spinner)
- Sliding greeter aside animation will look nicer (right now it looks
like greeter is a flat sheet on top of session)

--
-mt