Stop triaging bugs

Maarten Bezemer maarten.bezemer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:35:31 UTC 2014

On Monday 24 March 2014 16:01:48 Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> El 24/03/14 14:47, Marc Deslauriers escribió:

> >> As said in the bug statuses <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Bug%20statuses>
> >> page, which arbitrates the hole bug management work-flow in Launchpad,
> >> "triaged" means "a member of UbuntuBugControl
> >> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugControl> believes that the report
> >> describes a genuine bug in enough detail that a developer could start
> >> working on a fix."
> >>
> >> Moreover, according to lean management
> >>
> >> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_management>:
> >>    * The first source of flaws (or any waste) is them to remain invisible
> >>    (or
> >>
> >>      untriaged or with unset priority in the case of bug management).
> >>
> >>    * Unpredictable work-flow has to be done manually till, after some
> >>    continuous>>
> >>      improvement and waste reduction, it becomes regular.
> >>
> >> So, since your work-flow conflicts with Launchpad's one and with
> >> principal
> >> productivity recommendations, I'm sorry I'm not taking on your request;
> >> except if I'm missing something.
> >
> > (...)
> > Modifying in an arbitrary way bug statuses and priorities that teams
> > depend on to track work is simply a bad idea.
> > (...)
>
> What do you think; Quality, BugSquad and BugControl; about this topic?

Each group uses the status (and other) field(s) for their own use. Depending on
the bug and where it is send to, one should use the definitions of the group
responsible. In this case the bugs (apparently) belong to a group that use
different 'definitions' of the status field, than Bug Squat does.

I have seen information on different uses of the bug fields somewhere on
wiki.ubuntu.com but I cannot find it anymore..?
I suppose this needs to be made more clear on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Bug%20statuses maybe with a list of links to the
other groups and their descriptions/use of the fields.

Regards,
  Maarten