Fwd: [Ubuntu-phone] 2014-02-21 Core apps update

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Mon Mar 3 22:50:10 UTC 2014

On 02/27/2014 12:32 AM, John Kim wrote:
> Hey Nicholas,
>
> Can you help me get started? I'm itching to contribute to the mobile
> sphere of Ubuntu.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On February 26, 2014 10:53:04 AM PST, Nicholas Skaggs
> <nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>     There's some useful bits in here for those who might have missed
>     the update. We are always looking for folks interested in working
>     alongside these teams in helping write and maintain tests for the
>     core apps. Send me a mail and I can help you get started!
>
>     Nicholas

John, Daniel, and others who asked. I am happy to help you get started!
First, familiarize yourself with how CI works within ubuntu. I just
wrote a post on this that should help out:
http://www.theorangenotebook.com/2014/03/a-simple-look-at-testing-within-ubuntu.html

 From there, you can choose a community core app to help improve from a
quality perspective. For example, today the weather app has several
failures on the dashboard.
http://ci.ubuntu.com/smokeng/trusty/touch/mako/218:20140303.1:20140301.1/6961/ubuntu_weather_app/

Why did they tests fail? Is there a bug within the application or do the
tests themselves need fixing? You can see the test history at the top of
the page as well to get an idea if the tests usually have issues or not.

To help make it better, grab the weather branch, lp:ubuntu-weather-app,
and build and run the tests on your device. Read my post on click-buddy
for help with this:
http://www.theorangenotebook.com/2014/02/click-buddy-and-you-how-to-test-your.html.
If you are lacking a device, run the tests on your desktop instead ;-)

Look into any failures you find and have a look at the tests. Often the
tests can use a little improvement (or maybe an additional test), and
you can help out here! Sometimes failures won't happen every run -- this
is the sign of a weird bug, or more likely a flaky test.  Fix the
test(s), improve them, or add to them. Then commit your work and submit
a merge proposal. Follow the guide on the wiki if you need help with
doing this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/CoreApps/Testing/ContributeAutopilotTestcase

All of this I plan to write-up nicely, but I wanted to get an answer to
you now so you could get started. Of course, I am happy to answer
questions; you can find me anytime on IRC in #ubuntu-quality as
'balloons'. Feel free to ping me and ask questions or get help!