ubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386.iso: no mountable filesystem

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 06:56:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:18 AM, chris hermansen <clhermansen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Andrew and list
>
> On Jan 7, 2014 6:16 PM, "Andrew Moore" <slewsys at icloud.com> wrote:
> >
> > There were a few issues.  First of all, the ISO was downloaded with OS
> X, which is not able to mount the image.  Evidently it is not in ISO 9660
> format (which is readable by any OS)?   Secondly, the SHA256 checksum was
> verified, but the resulting DVD could not be booted by the laptop (an
> Inspiron 8200), and the laptop is not able (i.e., too old) to boot from USB
> device.  DVD can be read once the laptop is booted with Centos 6.5.  Is it
> possible that just as OS X is unable to mount the DVD, an older laptop may
> be unable to boot it?
> >
> > The long and the short of it is that Ubuntu 13.10 cannot be easily
> installed onto this laptop, which is unfortunate because it’s a great
> machine.  Any plans for a LiveCD?  Any other routes to installing?  Thank
> you!
> > -AM
>
> I took a look at this machine on a few computer magazine reviews, which
> show a typical config of 128mb RAM and a 40gb hard drive, as well as a
> 1.6ghz processor.
>
> In my experience, this won't run Ubuntu; there is far too little RAM. you
> may be able to get Lubuntu going on it but I would not count on it.
>
> If you want to try Lubuntu it should fit on a bootable CD-ROM.

Hi,

If these indeed are the hardware specifications of Andrew then I couldn't
agree more with chris :)
I've been dealing with old machine, even older than Andrew's one since 3
years and with such hardware, don't expect to do much :)
One website like Facebook or Gmail and your machine will suffer unless you
go for some special tweaks, etc.

It is 'not' a matter to install a system because Lubuntu 'can' be installed
on that machine but the 'real' Q is: what exactly can you do with such
system and very low RAM? we are in 2014 and with these crazy fancy
websites, I don't think your machine can handle that.

I am not sure what are you going to use that system for? if for learning
purposes for examples or non-website tasks, you might have more luck and
chances - for example learning how to use the CLI and learn Linux/Ubuntu
Commands :)

Thank you!

Best Regards,