ubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386.iso: no mountable filesystem

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 03:18:39 UTC 2014

Andrew and list

On Jan 7, 2014 6:16 PM, "Andrew Moore" <slewsys at icloud.com> wrote:

> There were a few issues.  First of all, the ISO was downloaded with OS X,
which is not able to mount the image.  Evidently it is not in ISO 9660
format (which is readable by any OS)?   Secondly, the SHA256 checksum was
verified, but the resulting DVD could not be booted by the laptop (an
Inspiron 8200), and the laptop is not able (i.e., too old) to boot from USB
device.  DVD can be read once the laptop is booted with Centos 6.5.  Is it
possible that just as OS X is unable to mount the DVD, an older laptop may
be unable to boot it?

> The long and the short of it is that Ubuntu 13.10 cannot be easily
installed onto this laptop, which is unfortunate because it’s a great
machine.  Any plans for a LiveCD?  Any other routes to installing?  Thank
you!
> -AM

I took a look at this machine on a few computer magazine reviews, which
show a typical config of 128mb RAM and a 40gb hard drive, as well as a
1.6ghz processor.

In my experience, this won't run Ubuntu; there is far too little RAM. you
may be able to get Lubuntu going on it but I would not count on it.

If you want to try Lubuntu it should fit on a bootable CD-ROM.