[Launchpad-users] Ubuntu Bug Week Announcement

Alberto Salvia Novella es20490446e at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 09:39:06 UTC 2014

🌊 *Ubuntu is not a wave, but a sea*

I *think* what I'm going to say is anti-maketing, but also what for me
seems real:

Ubuntu is *not a distro* at this time, but a prototype of software
development.
The same as GNOME 3 has been in its early days, which I hated so much
and now I like so hard.

Usually I choose what *works now*, because working now is the only
warrant it's actually been well done.
On the other hand, in my opinion, no operating system is fully working
today; because "working" means "working *for nearly everyone*".

📈*Decisions work**, and rapidly*

So I chose Ubuntu because it's the only distro I see *decisions* are
taken with criteria that actually works to put the operating system and
libre software forward as a standard rapidly. Nearly every single thing
that has been criticised to Ubuntu has through lately positive returns:

  * An *interface* that works across platforms, and which delivers
    maximum speed at work.
  * A *cloud* infrastructure that makes experience across devices very
    coherent, as these devices belonged to the same machine.
  * A massive *deployment* of the operating system.
  * Interest from the *gaming* industry in delivering titles to Linux.
    In fact, Steam and Source games work now without any errors at a
    stable performance in Saucy.
  * Interest in *GPUs* developers in greatly improving their drivers,
    both proprietary and libre.
  * The ability to *maintain* the computer by the user itself, without
    extra wasteful steps to configure it.

🐞*For bugs, a mini gun is being baked*

And what is left and we're *working* on it right now, and I have notice,
is the abilities to:

  * *Automatically* test and manage bugs.
  * *Smoke test* for bugs before launching a disk image.
  * Have a simple, lean and coherent *manual bug and quality
    management*; accessible to any kind of contributor.
  * *Launch* stable releases of Ubuntu every a while.

So when this gets a little *more mature*, it seems the situation with
bugs will be very different. And with mature I mean *months*.

🍻*Hype and a cup made a hiccup*

I think at the end the real discussion is about that people somehow
feels like being *manipulated* by social media and marketing. I have to
say that, in my opinion, Ubuntu is being advertised as more polished
than actually is; and this is where I think marketing went wrong and
somehow dishonest.

On the other hand, without excusing this point, I see the *intention*
has been always good: making free software the standard, liberating
computing, and showing that people can live working at it.

Regards ☕