Quality Opportunities for Vivid

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Tue Dec 9 22:38:13 UTC 2014

I wanted to write everyone to let them know about what opportunities
exist right now for quality efforts. Generally the first part of the
cycle is a bit slower for QA as we all take a needed break to refocus
and plan after the release. With vivid now well underway things are
ramping up! I wanted to cover the different opportunities available to
you as part of the ubuntu quality community. There's opportunities for
every role listed on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles. We need folks
to help test as well as write new tests. Testing and writing manual
testers can be learned by anyone, no coding required. That said, if you
have skills or interest in technical work, I would encourage you to try
helping out on some of these tasks. You will learn by doing and get help
from others while you do it.

I realized while drafting this mail, this might work better as a blog
post, so you can read it there as well, including handy links:
http://www.theorangenotebook.com/2014/12/quality-opportunities-for-vivid-cycle.html

Now onto the good stuff! What can you do to help ubuntu this cycle from
a quality perspective?

Dogfooding
There is an ever present need for brave folks willing to simply run the
development version of ubuntu and use it as a daily machine throughout
the cycle. It's one of the best ways for us as a community to uncover
bugs and issues, in particular things that regress from the previous
release. Upgrade to vivid today and see what you can break!

QATracker
This tool is written in drupal7 and runs the iso.qa.ubuntu.com and
packages.qa.ubuntu.com sites. These sites are used to record and view
the results of all of our manual testing efforts. Currently dkessel is
leading the effort on implementing some needed UI changes. The code and