Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Tue Aug 12 18:59:15 UTC 2014

On 08/11/2014 04:48 AM, Bear Me wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> If all you guys have time I'd ask you to answer my question.
>
> Yesterday I've decided to downgrade 14.10 Utopic Unicorn to 14.04.
>
> I had 3 partitions on my 160 Gb HDD -
> 1st (1gb) linux swap,
> 2nd - 50 Gb ext4 linux partition
> 100 Gb NTFS with my data (photos, music etc)
>
> While installing i select option that says "install 14.04 over Utopic
> Unicorn".
>   I thought that 14.04 will replace Utopic Unicorn on the same 50gb ext4
> partition.
> Then clicked next, everything wath installed good.
>
> But after installation was fininshed i've opened disk utility and noticed
> that whole hdd became formatted as  single 150 gb ext4 partition and  two
> 1gb swap partitions.
>
> So i lost all my data from NTFS partition
>

> My question is : should Ubuntu installer at least warn me that it decided
> to format whole disk?
>
> (Yes, it warns about erasing documents and stuff, but i thought that it
> will erase only partition with linux installed, like Windows installer
> does.)
>
> Should I submit bug about it ?
>

> Sorry for bad english, im ukrainian)
Bear, I'm curious about how exactly you installed. This does sound like
a bug, but I'm curious what ubiquity said during the process, etc. Did
you do an entire disk install? Do it say "upgrade"? If you are able,
recreating the issue would be most interesting.

I would file the bug with ubuntu-bug ubiquity on the system you
installed. It should contain some info about what happened in the
install log.

Nicholas

P.S. Your English is just fine, I can understand you easily.