[ 14.04-devel ] Unity's Trash function "Empty Trash..." not working anymore

Martin Cigorraga martincigorraga at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:16:12 UTC 2014

lsb_release -rd:
Release:        14.04

apt-cache policy nautilus
nautilus:
  Installed: 1:3.10.1-0ubuntu8
  Candidate: 1:3.10.1-0ubuntu8
  Version table:
 *** 1:3.10.1-0ubuntu8 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Hi all, I have this issue since April 12th and been waiting if it gets
fixed with an upgrade but so far it hasn't so I consider to leave you guys
a notice:

Nautilus:
Go to the Trash at the Unity bar, right-click --> Empty Trash...

Expected result: a dialog will pop-up and offer to empty the trashbin
What actually happens:
1. No dialog appears anymore
2. nautilus and ibus-daemon processes spikes for a moment to ~100 CPU use
leaving the desktop frozen for some seconds.
Happens: always.

Additional notes:
a. It's worth noting that I've been using -devel for more than a month and
in all this time this function used to work as expected.
b. I still can empty the trash from within Nautilus.
c. I can't find any trash.desktop in /usr/share/applications, how do I
check the if the Trash is configured correctly?

Regards.
-Martín