[Lubuntu-comms] People do not understand the desktop installer

Thomas Ward teward at trekweb.org
Fri Oct 25 15:51:08 UTC 2013

Back when we had Brainstorm, I suggested Ubiquity (Ubuntu installer) be given a warning popup for both side-by-side and "use whole disk" as well as custom partitioning, which requires you to acknowledge the risk of such installations and that all information would be at risk of being destroyed (or in case of "use whole disk" then the data erasure was guaranteed).

But through experience on Ask Ubuntu, I've unfortunately come to realize one persistent truth:  no matter how many warnings you put in place about something, a substantial portion of all people will ignore it.  This is the case in when we answer questions about dual boots and say "back up your data you want to keep first in case something bad happens."  Almost nobody listens to that and data gets lost by user error in the first place.

So while I commend everyone here for identifying this fatal weakness in the installation process, I must also point out the weakness of people in general, in that they don't read half the messages proposed to them during installation and pre-installation.  And no matter how many warnings or risk acceptance requirements are put in place (videos included too) there's no true way to remove all issues of PEBKAC from the installation process.

------
Thomas