[Lubuntu-comms] People do not understand the desktop installer

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 14:11:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >     14.04
> >     >
> >     >     Best regards
> >     >     Nio
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Hi,
> >     >
> >     > All that can be solved in one two 'very' simple steps:
> >     >
> >     > 1- Create a YouTube Video that explains in details HOWTO Install
> >     Ubuntu
> >     > with all the possible cases
> >     > 2- Add a link for that YouTube Video right next to the Download
> >     Link so
> >     > those who download Ubuntu or any flavour can 'watch' and 'learn'
> >     how to
> >     > install the system
> >     >
> >     > Time is money and saving time is a very important factor in just 6
> >     > months cycle :)
> >     >
> >     > Just a very quick thought!
> >     >
> >     > --
> >     > Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
> >     > Best Regards,
> >     > amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
> >     > Areas of Involvement
> >     <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement>
> >     > My Projects <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Projects>
> >
> >     1. I do think it is important to improve the text in the installer
> >     itself
> >

> > Any suggestions? for someone who failed to backup his/her important data
> > before actually wiping his/her HDD, I'd only think he/she will not even
> > bother to read any text :)
> >

> >     because those who might need the video might not play it.
> >

> > As I mentioned, the Link of that HOWTO Video must be posted right next
> > to the Download Link with a Note:
> >
> > "Please, see/watch this video BEFORE you install the system" :)
> >
> > Those who fail to 'read' any improved text or watch the video, can blame
> > no one but themselves.
> >
> > Backing up is the very first step. This must be mentioned clearly next
> > to each and every download link, IMHO :)
> >

> >     2. I wrote that it should be improved in 14.04, which is an LTS
> version,
> >     so more than 6 months are involved.
> >
> >     Best regards
> >     Nio
> >

> > Well, this is not for me to decide. This will go into so many
> > discussions and will take time. Why NOT save the time and just go for
> > the easiest solution rather than changing the whole thing just because
> > 'some' users who can't read nor backup their data?
> >
> > But YES, I am WITH any improvement that makes life easier. However, time
> > is the real challenge that we do have. While 6 months may look enough
> > for that, IMHO, each minute should be carefully considered :) that is
> > just me though!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."

Fine by me :)

> 1. I'll be very happy if someone makes a video

I can do that but as I mentioned, I need to get my normal voice back :)

> and puts links to it at strategic places, so that many people find it and
> play it.

I have access to Ubuntu GNOME Website and of course the Wiki Area. I can't
speak for Ubuntu and other Flavours :)

> 2. But it is not enough. The text in the installer itself needs
> improvement, and it should not be too time-consuming to make such an
> improvement.

I am not the one who will decide how much time that will take!

All what I mentioned is 'the discussion', for example, the one we are doing
right now, might take longer time :)

> Some people need to sit down and check what has been
> misunderstood and try to imagine what can be misunderstood by beginners.

I agree!

> And rewrite those descriptions and instructions. In a second step it is
> important to involve those who translate the text into all the languages.

Why not? :)

> I'd volunteer to such a group.
>
> Best regards
> Nio