A proposal to combine quality and bugsquad teams

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Wed Oct 23 18:36:46 UTC 2013

Hello everyone! To the bugsquaders, my name might not be too familar
with you. I am the QA Community Coordinator on Jono's team. My goal has
been to help the quality community succeed and do great things within
ubuntu. It's been wonderful learning and growing together over the last
several cycles. However I've not interacted much with the bugsquad
during that time because of the seperation between the QA team and the
bugsquad.

Historically the quality team and the bugsquad have been seperate. Today
I want to propose that we end that seperation. I would like to adopt the
bugsquad under the quality community team. I want to encourage those of
you who are in the bugsquad to consider some of the new oppurtunities
that are availible to the greater QA Team. And for the QA team, I want
to encourage us as a community to learn more about bugs and take part in
the tasks the bugsquad has traditional held. For instance, triage
activities and SRU's, bug hug days, etc.

To help with this I've created a series of roles for the quality
community; https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/. For the tester role,
I've incorporated bugsquad activities in addition to the traditional
activities a QA team member could partake in. I feel like the listed
'tester' role could be assumed by anyone today in the bugsquad, but
please correct me if I am wrong. We can certainly define an additional
role if it makes sense.

Traditionally we as a quality community host a series of workshops at
the beginning of the cycle to help newcomers learn skills to contribute
to quality. I trust those of you who are veteran members of the bugsquad
might be able to bring us as a community up to speed on how to be good
triagers, and reporters, etc as part of these workshops.

I would like everyone's feedback before I think too long about the the
implementation details. Simply put, as a quality team we need to know
how to be good bug reporters. And as testers we have the skills needed
to triage and verify bugs and fixes. I think it makes sense to utilize
the skills both teams posess and combine them as part of the quality
community.

What do you think?