New to Testing, Which is the best way to start contributing?

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Mon Nov 18 16:16:30 UTC 2013

Ryuken, thanks for the feedback. It can feel overwhelming, but please
any suggestions you may have as you move through the knowledge transfer
process please let us know :-)

As far as your questions, I think the best and easiest way to start is
to run some testcases. You can choose to do image or package tests. The
package trackers have tests for every image and all the default desktop
packages for ubuntu and most flavors.

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/
and
http://packages.qa.ubuntu.com/

So for instance if you are running ubuntu, this is the page with the
list of package testcases for trusty:
http://packages.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/306/builds/55993/testcases

Pick your favorite app, or simply something that hasn't yet been tested.
Let's say totem.

http://packages.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/306/builds/55993/testcases/1429/results

Read the testcase, execute it and report your results. If you find a
bug, report it :-) By helping with testing, try and plan on running
through these testcases a few times over the course of the cycle and
foaster any bugs you might find until they are fixed. Does this make sense?

After you've gone through the listed testcases, you can choose to help
by writing a test we don't currently have (look at the test write role
for that), or doing exploratory testing to look for bugs (or anything
else on the page :-) ). Exploratory testing means you don't have a
specific script to follow. Instead you are looking at specific
applications and trying to find bugs. It's like a puzzle :-) Try and
break the software. You'll find you get better at it over time.

Nicholas