"Testcase pilots"

Elfy ub.untu at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 4 19:49:27 UTC 2013

On 03/07/13 16:42, Ho Wan Chan wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu Quality Team,
>
> If you have been a member of the Ubuntu Development Team (or if you
> have been subscribed to the ubuntu-devel mailing list) you will know
> that Ubuntu Development has a system called "Patch pilots". Look at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/CodeReviews?action=show&redirect=PatchPilot#Patch_Pilots
> for a better introduction.
>
> Basically, one pilot (or two if possible) stands on guard at certain
> times, and helps developers who doesn't have upload permissions to
> upload their packages upon review.

This might work for them - though I'd have no idea if it actually _does_
- not sure how many people in QA could be set to this. I know I can't
set aside specific times to do anything.

Do they have a team made up of a a small number like the QA team?

To make sensible decisions based on some other group of people, I'd need
to see various stats to contrast.

> This might be a good idea for our team to implement. We can have
> people to get their testcases (no matter Autopliot or autopkgtest or
> manual) reviewed and merged.

Not really sure what would be gained by adding another level of intricacy.

> The "testcase pilots" should be people from the Ubuntu Testcase Admins
> Team in Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-testcase
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-testcase>), and maybe the Canonical
> Platform QA Team members.

Who are the Canonical Platform QA Team members?

> You might wonder how to update the topic of our IRC channel at
> #ubuntu-quality and at #ubuntu-autopilot. Well, as I can see in
> #ubuntu-devel, patch pilots do have a process to automatically check
> in using a bot. I think if everyone agrees to this plan, we can ask
> the development team on how do they implement it.

What does this have to do with the rest of the mail?
> This is just a suggestion, and feedback is welcome from everyone.
>
> Do have a think of it:)
>
> Best wishes,
> Howard Chan (smartboyhw)

Elfy