Proposal to merge #ubuntu-quality and #ubuntu-bugs

Micah Gersten micahg at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 3 14:40:02 UTC 2013

On 01/03/2013 07:14 AM, Omer Akram wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Just recently there started a discussion on Ubuntu bug squad list
> about less people getting involved in bug triage along the discussion
> there were a few points raised which let me to put the idea of merging
> #ubuntu-quality and #ubuntu-bugs into one. Ultimately both have the
> same goal that is talking about quality in Ubuntu.
>
> At time people testing Ubuntu ISO will raise their bugs in
> #ubuntu-quality and discussions may take place there. People may or
> may not be available in both channels but since I believe people do
> talk mostly about bug reports in those channels (though
> #ubuntu-quality do have other topics as well) but I think merging them
> will make a few things easier one will be that there will be mostly a
> unified place for people to talk about bugs (i know people may talk in
> #ubuntu+1 or #ubuntu-desktop as well but those channels have their own
> reasons for exisitance)
>
> Here I might not have a lot of point to argue plus I am never great
> with words but the overall notion is that I believe that it will
> result in a benefit for Ubuntu due to having a concentrated place to
> talk bugs.
>
> Thoughts/Suggestions/Pros/Cons all welcome and appreciated
>
> Thanks!

I'm not sure I agree with this.  #ubuntu-bugs is specifically for bug
triage, whereas #ubuntu-quality seems to not have a defined topic.
Whereas I'm likely to watch #ubuntu-bugs for people who need help with
triage, I'm not necessarily interested in most of what happens with
image testing and the issues that arise from it.  This is not to say
that I don't care, rather that I'm not necessarily going to commit my
time to such issues.
You could in theory condense #ubuntu-devel, -desktop, and -release into
quality as well as the goal is quality, but I don't see that as being
productive.
Thanks,
Micah