[Ubuntu-laptop-testing] Join Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) Final Beta Laptop Testing

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 16:46:45 UTC 2013

Nicholas, thanks for the reply.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Nicholas Skaggs
<nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com> wrote:
> Chris, the first is a kernel bug.. And it's a regression from precise it
> seems. Has the kernel team seen the issue? They would ask you to run
> different kernels and perhaps an upstream or mainline kernel to diagnose
> where the issue lies.  If you can pinpoint when/where it was introduced,
> there's a good chance for fixing it.

I have to say I don't know if the kernel team has seen it or not -
beyond filing a new bug or (what I did, this time) adding a comment at
the end of the existing bug and adding the "raring" tag to say "it's
back", I don't know how to alert the kernel team.  How should I do
that?

My testing laptop - the Dell Inspiron 1501 that has this problem - is
right now used only for testing so I can do whatever I need to it to
try to track this down.

The last two comments on this bug 572521 - that of Dario Egea on
2012-10-28 saying the problem is gone in 12.04 64bit and then mine
saying it's back in Raring Beta 2 give us some idea of when it came
back.

I had 12.10 running on this machine for awhile and I don't remember
stripy lines, but my memory is not the most reliable thing!

> The wireless bug linked is interesting -- sounds like there is a workaround.
> Again if it's straightforward, I'm curious what the ramifications are for it
> wanting to use the wrong driver. Is your hardware reporting the wrong thing?
> Or is the driver reporting to work with your hardware when it doesn't?
> Sometimes it's the case of quirky hardware where fixing it for you would
> require breaking it for everyone else.. I'm not sure if that's the case
> here.

My experience with the wireless bug is that the newer drivers (for
instance the STA driver) are supposed to work with the 4311 chipset
but don't.  So I have ended up regressing to the b43 driver, ever
since this old Dell has run Ubuntu.

After I posted my "it's still a problem" comment in this bug, I
noticed another poster suggesting a patch for the problem, and since
there is a confirmed / fix released.  So I will try a fresh install in
a couple of days to see if this is repaired.