"The crash belongs to a package that is not installed." ???

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 25 14:54:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 09:44:25AM +0200, Gabor Toth wrote:
> Just a question here.
>
> From time to time I get a system crash window popping up and saying
> that there was a crash.  I click on send the report - of course - and
> then it comes up with another window saying "The crash belongs to a
> package that is not installed."
>
> I do not get it.  How can a package crash that is not even installed?
> Can anyone light my way in this?

Knowing what the contents of /var/crash is would be helpful in
determining which application crashed.  For example:

/var/crash/_usr_share_apport_apportcheckresume.1000.crash

indicates the application /usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume crashed
and I know that is a part of apport.  (You could check via dpkg -S
/usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume.)  Then I can use apt-cache policy
to see if apport is installed:

apport:
  Installed: 2.5.2-0ubuntu4
  Candidate: 2.5.2-0ubuntu4