CFT: Unity 6.6

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 17:24:23 UTC 2012

Nicholas, Charlie, list; just to conclude this discussion (from my end
at least):

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Nicholas Skaggs
<nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 09/21/2012 02:31 PM, chris hermansen wrote:
>
> Back on the laptop, no more top posting.
>
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Charlie Kravetz
> <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM, chris hermansen <clhermansen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Unity is not working on my older Toshiba A70, once I log in (This machine
> automatically falls over to Unity-2d in 12.04 and prior).
>
> Right now I am staring at a nice royal blue screen. The touch pad can move
> the cursor but that is about it. no decoration of any kind. no response to
> right clicks.
>
> I can ctrl alt f1 into a terminal session.
>
> at the end of syslog i see warnings few gnome-session:
>
> WARNING: App 'compiz.desktop' respawning too quickly
> CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. sorry...
>
> not sure how to file a bug report for this.
>
> It's possible this machine has an old video card that is not supported
> by Unity. It has always fallen back to 2d, is it even 3d capable? Or,
> does Unity no longer require 3d capability?
>
> Charlie, this laptop ran Gnome 2 with compiz quite well as far as I
> could ever tell.
> All the 3d and shading stuff seemed to work fine.
>
> However, ever since Unity it has always fallen back to 2d.
>
> It seems to run 2d fine with Compiz replacing Metacity, right up to 12.04.
>
> It is a Radeon IGP9100.
>
> I had read that this release of Unity was intended to work with older cards
> due to some new middleware which I cannot now remember.
>
> Indeed, is seems like Charlie is correct in this case then. You might just
> consider sticking with precise if you want to run unity (which btw, isn't
> such a bad idea anyway :-) ). Obviously, if your able, keep checking out how
> the newer releases handle on your laptop, but if it ran unity2d before,
> there was a reason it defaulted to it.

Booting into recovery mode, I do not get a unity session (or much of
anything, really - the screen is black, no mouse pointer).

So for now I guess I cannot file any kind of bug report and will stick
with 12.04 or perhaps move to lubuntu.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen at gmail.com

C'est ma façon de parler.