issue submitting crashes

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 19 15:17:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:48:14AM +0200, Marius Kotsbak wrote:
> On 18. okt. 2012 21:33, Brian Murray wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:24:23PM -0700, Jeremiah Njoroge wrote:
> >> Is there an issue in yesterday and today's daily Quantal builds with
> >> submitting crash reports?
> >>
> >> What I am observing is as follows:
> >>
> >> An app/process crashes
> >> A pop up shows asking if I want to report a problem
> >> After clicking on OK, I get the pop up to "Send an error report to
> >> help fix the issue"
> >> after clicking on continue, nothing happens after.
> >>
> >> I also see this by trying to submit the crash report using the
> >> ubuntu-bug command
> >
> > Crash reports regarding stable releases, which Ubuntu 12.10, is go to
> > errors.ubuntu.com and not the Ubuntu bug tracker in Launchpad. You can
> > verify that the crash was upload by looking for a .uploaded file
> > corresponding to the .crash file in /var/crash/ for the particular
> > application or service that crashed.
>
> Please clarify. Do you say that there are not anymore reported bug
> reports for crashes?

The idea is that bug reports have already been created (during testing
of the development release) for the majority of crashes that people will
encounter.  Additionally, submitting bug reports uses valuable
resources on the local system and on Launchpad.  However, the crashes
are still submitted to errors.ubuntu.com and there you can see
relationships between crashes and bug reports.

> It that case, the crash dialog should be modified to give the user an
> indication that the crash report has been uploaded.  Like it is now
> for me, it just disappears and I think itself has crashed... Is there
> an existing bug report about this?

I believe the thought is the process should be as non-disruptive as
possible and a second dialog saying 'your crash was successfully sent'
is disruptive.  If you wanted to submit a bug about this apport is the
correct package.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master