An idea on the structure of QA

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Wed Mar 21 17:52:55 UTC 2012

Hi Jiří!

Thank you for your feedback. Let me try and respond to some of your
questions.

The document has been thru a few iterations, so likely the goals
aligning with the solution so tightly is an aspect of that. Those goals
were the goals I had in mind when I started down this road. The goals
are probably the most important piece of the document -- it's important
everyone in the community is unified around them. If not, it's hard to
discuss how to implement them; and harder still to achieve them if the
community is divided.

The use cases is something I added to the document as a means of
thinking about the problem. Use cases are part of the template for
specifications -- and I believe they are included to remind you to think
about the problem from different perspectives :-) I want to keep all
these types of contributors in mind -- I outlined some current potential
scenarios as well as users in those scenarios. The proposal doesn't
directly address all of those use cases, but I wanted our plans going
forward to keep them in mind.

On the team participation front, it's certainly possible to participate
in multiple teams under the proposal. This is the same as the current
structure; it is possible now to participate in multiple teams. How
effective someone can be at it is up to them and the requirements they
take on for both teams. I certainly don't see it as a harmful thing, but
I wouldn't expect it to be commonplace.

The question on membership renewal is a great one. Generally the
approach taken by ubuntu is that you are a member until you feel you no
longer can or wish to meet the requirements of being a member (afiak!).
Additionally, being a member or not, if your dodging your
responsibilities on the team for whatever reason, the team is likely to
re-assign them so as to not be hampered. I am intrigued by your new
testers comment -- do you feel you have done things to allow new folks
to be so productive in comparison to seasoned testers? Why do you think
they excel?

Great questions/comments-- I appreciate the dialog! Keep'em coming ;-)

Nicholas