Introducing myself

Cory Flick flicck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 02:36:46 UTC 2012

Hi, all!

Been using Ubuntu as my main OS since the Hoary Hedgehog CD that was
included with Linux Pro Magazine back in 2005. Dabbled with lots of
other distros, always came back to Ubuntu for the conveniences and
polish. Did a little bug reporting and patch/fix testing regarding
wireless for the Hardy Heron release :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/b43-fwcutter/+bug/197819

Since then I've mostly used laptops that had as much Intel hardware as
possible for graphics and wifi and everything else, and for the most
part everything has worked wonderfully. The last couple of releases,
Natty and Oneiric, have both not had working wifi out of the box on my
Lenovo Ideapad V570, but for slightly tech-savvy users like I think I
am, there is an easily found workaround/fix :
http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm/browse_thread/thread/17973dc872366ff6?pli=1

I'd like to jump into testing Precise, so I downloaded the Alpha 1,
installed it ( clean install ), been updating. Most everything has
been smooth sailing, except for the same wireless issue as in the last
two releases. So I'd like to throw myself out there as a guinea pig
for testing/fixing this issue, if possible, so less
experienced/Google-savvy folks with similar hardware don't run into
the no-wifi wall.

Aside from that particular issue, I'd like to test Precise and report
bugs/test patches, as a way to give back to a community that has given
me 6 years of fun, safe, interesting computer use.

I am not in IT, nor a programmer. Just a casual desktop end-user, with
6-ish years experience running mostly Ubuntu, for typical home
end-user stuff : web browsing, email, music, photo fixing and
managing, and such. I'm not afraid of the command line at all, use it
for little tweaks, file managing, and the like all the time. Certainly
NOT a guru, but comfortable.

Hopefully I'll not make too much of a nuisance of myself, and maybe
even help a little, over the next 4 months or so.

See you 'round on Launchpad!