Facebook Page

Gema Gomez gema.gomez-solano at canonical.com
Sun Aug 19 13:29:36 UTC 2012

On 17/08/12 23:01, Elfy wrote:
> On 17/08/12 04:41, Phill Whiteside wrote:
>> Hi guys & gals,
>>
>> as a part of Nicholas's questionaire one thing that had been
>> previously discussed was how does QA advertise itself. We have bounced
>> a couple of ideas about. One of them has actually arrived, albeit in a
>> beta version. [1]  Nicholas will quite easily say that he is not a
>> FaceBook person, and in all honesty, I am only because of Lubuntu [2].
>> [3].
>>
>> The group is 'permissive' so that only admins may accept new members,
>> this has been previously shown to me to be effective in reducing spam
>> attacks & I would like to keep to keep it that way. For this to
>> continue we will need more admins!
>>
>> Hopefully there are other members of the QA group who are also
>> familiar with looking after a fb group account. The banner will be
>> done once we decide if we do decide to use FaceBook to improve our
>> rating of "What, there, is a QA team?" score on the recent survey.
>>
>> I now retire and await for world war three to break out :)
>>
>> Nah, just joking, but please give your thoughts & if you think it will
>> be useful as an area to introduce people to QA, have a chat, point new
>> commers into QA, then please ask to be an admin.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phill.
>> 1. https://www.facebook.com/groups/432347580138081/
>> P.S. we need ~20 members to have the name changed from
>> "432347580138081
>> <https://www.facebook.com/groups/432347580138081/>" to "Ubuntu QA"
>> Please join :)
>> 2. https://www.facebook.com/Lubuntu.Official.Page
>> 3. https://www.facebook.com/groups/lubuntu.official/
>>

>> --
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw
>>

> Facebook ?
>
> What's that?
>
> (for the - wut? crowd ... )
>
> As long as all these
>
> Social media things are in ADDITION to what we all ready have -= then +1
>
> Of course - what we really need is an ARM place...
>
> Elfy

Hi, I have been thinking about this social media stuff to coordinate. I
have mixed feelings, I particularly go through phases of hating facebook
and stop using it completely, if we move all the communication there as
opposite to email, I will miss good chunks.

Facebook is not an open platform, there are no open archives for people
that do not use facebook and we are forcing people basically to give
their data away if they want to collaborate with us.

There are others who their parents, rightfully in my opinion, keep away
from facebook and other social media that may not be suitable for their
age, and we would be excluding them from conversations.

I think social media are good to share news with others, but are not the
right place to have technical discussions.

Cheers,
Gema

--
Gema Gomez-Solano        <gema.gomez-solano at canonical.com>