Pulseaudio 2.1 Testing

Nicholas Skaggs nicholas.skaggs at canonical.com
Tue Aug 7 22:39:35 UTC 2012

I hope John doesn't mind me sharing his question, since it's a good one :-)

 From google,
/Smoke testing is non-exhaustive software testing, ascertaining that the
most crucial functions of a program work, but not bothering with finer
details/

I think that sums up what I mean when I say smoke tests. In practice,
you'll find the smoketests to be a series of yes/no questions. This
differs from the step-by-step instructions with actions and expected
results of our normal testcases. Those tests (like for example, iso
testing), are meant to cover as many details as possible to find out any
and all bugs. When we test something as large as the kernel or audio, we
typically utilize testcases that are more in line with smoke-testing to
ensure general compatibility and functionality. Make sense?

Now, this probably belongs on our wiki someplace. Phil? Others? Ideas?

Nicholas