Some questions

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu-tl at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 3 18:35:23 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM, BOB Merhebi <bobmerhebi at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> By the way, In "System Testing" (checkbox?), there's the last "Audio Test"
> which requests to "Connect a USB audio device to your system" then asks you
> "Did you hear your speech played back through the USB headphones?". I don't
> quite get the test! could someone clear it out?

There are USB dongles that act as an extra sound card; either as a
small dongle where you can connect a microphone and headphones via a
standard 8mm jack, or as a complete sound device that integrates a
headset at the end of a cable.

The goal is to verify that these external devices are well detected
and supported, and that pulseaudio or ALSA are able to properly handle
the new device and switch output to them.

I guess the "headphones" part is a little confusing, I think it would
be better worded as "device" directly, and let the user deal with
whatever kind of device was used. For instance, if there is somehow a
USB table speaker available, we shouldn't be calling that "headphones"
:)

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu-tl at ubuntu.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93