Call for testing: Overlay scrollbars

Jean-Baptiste Lallement jean-baptiste at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 24 09:05:51 UTC 2011

Mark recently blogged about the overlay scrollbars [1]. Now, you can
test it for real and report your feedback.

 * How can you help ?

We need people running Natty, then follow the the instructions below:
 1. Install the overlay scrollbar from the PPA

    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ayatana-scrollbar-team/release
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install liboverlay-scrollbar-0.1-0

 2. You have to have an account in our tracking system. Go to
      http://desktop.qa.ubuntu.com
 and click on “Log In” and “Create New Account”

 3. Run the 5 tests described on the tracker (when you click on "Overlay
Scrollbars) with as many applications as you can and post the results of
the tests to the Tracker [2]. Add the applications you've tested in the
comment area of the result.

 To enable the overlay scrollbars for an application, run the following
command:
    $ LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=foo <command>
 for example
    $ LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=foo gedit

Before starting to test the scrollbar, read the detailed instructions on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ayatana/ScrollBars

 * How to file bugs ?

In case you find bugs, please report them at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-scrollbar/+filebug

Don't forget to mention the version of the overlay library tested, and
of the application that exposes the problem. If the application crashed,
apport should have captured a crash file which can help narrow down the
issue more quickly.

In particular, report:

 * any kind of crashers, like when the application starts and tries to
display the window(s) containing scrollbars
 * slowdowns in using scrollable areas; measurements can help judge how
much the scrollbar really impacts the application, or whether the
application is just slow due to other circumstances
 * any other kind of anomaly obviously due to the scrollbars that
impacts the user experience

You can join us in #ubuntu-testing on Freenode where we are coordinating
this effort and we'll be happy to help you in testing this feature.

[1] http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/615
[2] http://desktop.qa.ubuntu.com

--
Jean-Baptiste