VirtualBox Info

Jeff Lane jeff at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 26 23:17:23 UTC 2011

On 01/25/2011 10:27 PM, rypedgenes at operamail.com wrote:
> I understand no hardware testing can be done in VM's...
> With only the /daily releases sized for a cd, I'm limited.
> So off I go...to re-install a foobar'ed daily, on my second partition!

You are correct, however don't let that stop you from testing.  There's
no reason you couldn't test ANY of the daily ISO builds using VBox.
While we like having the ISOs tested on as many different types of
systems as possible, the act of ISO testing itself is valuable.  I'd be
willing to bet that at least 75% of all installer bugs are found on VMs
by people participating in ISO testing days.

Also, you can test any of the ISOs on your laptop directly, regardless
of ISO size.  You can use usb-creator (it's under the
System/Administration menu) or unetbootin to make a bootable USB stick
from any of the ISO images.  Provided your laptop supports booting from
USB storage (most, if not all, modern ones do) it's easy.

But like I said, do not discount the value of ISO testing on VMs.  We
use VMs a lot for testing the installer and other bits of Ubuntu that
aren't hardware specific.  There are just a few caveats to testing this
way.  For example, you can't do Wubi testing in VMs.  But most other
methods work just fine, including the rescue mode tests, as long as your
VM's disk file is big enough to support multiple partitions.  I usually
make mine about 22GB.

Also, depending on your laptop hardware, don't count on being able to
run more than one at a time.  I can run 2 simultaneously, but slowly due
to disk I/O bottlenecks, but if I put them on external storage devices
(usb disks, I can run 3 or 4 in sync.

In fact, I've even built small clouds to do some light UEC testing in
VMs and build development environments in VMs.

Cheers
Jeff