VirtualBox OSE--Testing

Jeff Lane jeff at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 20 23:01:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 15:20,  <rypedgenes at operamail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
> While I have some time to test--I'm gonna jump right in!
>
> I've acquired both natty-desktop & alternate-amd64.
> Being their both to large for a CdRom, I'll run them in VirtualBox OSE.
> --Is this ok for these tests?
>
> I'm running the 'OEM install' and find some questions out of order.
> --Is this trivial, or can I assist in corrections? {I'm documenting..}
>
> If needed: My wiki TestingLaptopReport for Laptop specs.

You go right ahead...

Though, just my opionion, I'd ditch VirtualBox OSE and just download
and install the full VBox instead... there are some things that OSE
doesn't have (simulated hardware acceleration, USB pass through, etc).

I use VBox for most of my ISO testing, actually... I use hardware when
I can, but VBox is just fine, and is used by a lot of testers (as well
as KVM and even Xen and QEMU).  There are also probably some people
using Parallels and VMWare as well.

As for the OEM Install... what do you mean by "out of order?"

The OEM installer is slightly different from the normal install in
that it installs a system and then creates a default OEM user account.
 Then, after install, you have to log in, run the OEM config tool and
reboot.  THEN you actually create your own user account by answering
the rest of the user acct questions (username, password, Full name,
etc).

I have a feeling that what you are seeing is most likely correct and
you just don't realize it... but if you do have questions, feel free
to post what you're seeing, and what order you're seeing it in and we
can answer that.

Cheers
Jeff