Test Cases categories

Alex Lourie djay.il at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:09:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Gema Gomez
<gema.gomez-solano at canonical.com>wrote:

> On 08/12/11 15:06, Alex Lourie wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Proceeding with the work we started for test case rewriting, there's an
> > issue I'd like to discuss here - categorising the test cases. How would
> > we like it to be? What categories would you think should be created? How
> > do we decided the relation of a test case to a specific category? Can
> > any given test be part of more than one categories?
> >
> > Please share your thoughts,
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Alex Lourie
> >

> The categorization we have at the moment is:
>
> - Applications
> - System
> - Hardware
> - Install
> - Upgrade
> - CasesMods (not sure what this even means)
>
> There are many ways to categorize test cases:
>
> - by functionality under test (like we are sort of doing, but not quite)
>
> - by test type
>        * positive/negative
>        * smoke: target the system horizontally and superficially /
> regression:
> target vertical slices of the system, in depth
>        * Unit testing (target an api method, or a very small
> functionality)/Integration testing (target the integration of two or
> more subsystems)/System testing (target the system as a whole)
>        * Functional (target functionality, the system behaves as it should
> and
> fails gracefully in error situations) / Non-Functional (performance or
> benchmarking, security testing, fuzzy testing, load or stress testing,
> compatibility testing, MTBF testing, etc)
>
> - by test running frequency: this test case should run
> daily/weekly/fortnightly/once per milestone
>

> And many other ways. I am deliberately introducing a lot of jargon here,
> for those less familiar with the QA speech, please have a look at the
> glossary or ask when in doubt, if we want to truly improve the test
> cases we are writing we need to start thinking about all these things:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Glossary
>
> Thanks,
> Gema

Hi Gema
That's OK, we can handle the jargon.

I think that in our case, categories should represent our way of work. So
for community team, current categories are probably fine, but for QA
engineering they may not be well suited (you may want an additional
manual/automatic note). I don't think we should stumble on this issue for
too long, so I'd recommend to go with the following scheme, and update it
if we feel necessary. So it would go as this:

* *Applications* (for application related tests, such as testing editors,
browsers, etc).
* *System* (for testing system built ins, such as, maybe, services scripts,
global/local settings, default system configurations, etc)
* *Hardware* (for testing hardware components)
* *Install* (for test cases performed during the installation process)
* *Upgrade* (for test cases performed during the upgrade process)
** CasesMods (I have no idea what it is right now, so if anyone does please
let us know).*

I am going to use this selection on the Test Cases Rewriting document, and
if anything changes we'll update accordingly.

--
Alex Lourie