[SOLVED] nVidia display problems

Bruce Miller subscribe at brmiller.ca
Fri Sep 10 11:19:28 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

Mathieu,
Thanks for the helpful reply.

I wrote yesterday's message from work where I am restricted to a tightly
locked-down XP environment.

The good news is that, since I last tried maverick about two weeks ago, the
nVidia proprietary module and the monitor recognition routines have agreed to
play nice together :-) . For the first time since it appeared, the KDE session
in maverick now displays at its proper 1920 x 1200 resolution.

Memory is better when one is sitting in front of the environment being
discussed. For the record, two points:
1. I recall an inconsistency between the video drivers reported by jockey-text
and lspci. To this observer, that signaled trouble. The inconsistency is now
gone:
bruce at Xenophon:~$ sudo jockey-text -l
xorg:nvidia_current - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (Proprietary, Enabled,
In use)
bruce at Xenophon:~$ sudo lspci -vv | grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GS] (rev
a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia        Kernel modules: nvidia-current,
nouveau, nvidiafb
2. On the margins of a local LUG meeting several years ago, I recall Dell reps
telling me that they knew that the Dell 2405FPW monitor did not return proper
EDID information. My problem has been that, for the last four years, Kubuntu
worked with the monitor despite this problem. For the last several months with
maverick, it did not.

While I am relieved that the problem is solved, there might still be a lesson
learned. Not all monitors return correct EDID information. Previous versions of
U/Kubuntu worked with monitors that did not. It is risky to remove the routines
that provided the workaround.

Thanks again for yesterday's helpful reply. I hope that this new information is
useful.

--Bruce Miller, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
bruce at brmiller.ca; (613) 745-1151
Just when you think your software is idiot proof, somebody comes up with a
better idiot
Keyboard not found...Press any key to continue.