The Final Straw

Bruce Miller subscribe at brmiller.ca
Thu Sep 9 20:29:41 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

I have been considering for some time filing a bug report about nvidia and my
monitor. I will hold off, for the time being, pending a reply to this
message. What I would appreciate is knowing exactly what info itwould be most
useful to provide.

I have been using Kubuntu for many years; if my memory serves me right, I
started in late 2005 with Breezy Badger. In early 2006, I upgraded to a Dell
2405 FPW LCD widescreen monitor. I have used this monitors with two different
desktops, both with nVidia graphics adapters. The latest is now almost three
years old; again, by memory (I am not at home), it is a GS7600. The nVidia card
and drivers have always driven the monitor at 1920x1200.

This adapter / monitor combination has always worked well with every release of
Kubuntu up to and including 10.04 (lucid) --- and until the release of the first
development builds of Maverick.  In Maverick, I  have never once been able to
raise the screen resolution beyond 1440 x 1024. I have used both native KDE
utilities and nvidia utilities and have re-installed the driver (using the cli
utility jockey-text) several times.

The Maverick set-up is now entirely foo-barred. A graphical session always fail
with the low-res "graphics problem" dialogue; attempts to log into a login
virtual console simply leave me staring at a black screen without even so much
as a flashing cursor. It has been a while and I cannot recall what happens if I
try to boot into a recovery console. Because I know that it is a development
release, I do most of my work in Lucid and changes in my personal situation have
delayed plans to reinstall Maverick from scratch.

I shall try booting into a recovery console to see what can be salvaged. If I
cannot manage anything, I will re-install. If that continues to leave me unable
to bring up 1920 x 1200, please let me know what information would be most
useful to help troubleshoot the problem. Should I do it here? or in a bug
report? or both?
 --
Bruce Miller, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
bruce at brmiller.ca; (613) 745-1151