Outdated Laptop Test plan makes testing a less pleasant experience

Daniel Kulesz daniel.kulesz at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Oct 15 19:15:21 UTC 2010

Dear Ubuntu Testing Team members,

in the last few days, I tried to contribute to testing of the 10.10 release on
various Laptops which I have or can use for that purpose. Unfortunately I made
the experience, that the wiki with the Test plans is pretty outdated, and
therefore many tests need to be marked as "failed" because the instructions
are not appropiate. Some examples:

exc-001: There is no example folder / symlink anymore, the content was moved
to /usr/share/example-content already some time ago. It is not clear which
files / applications are targetted, and what the expected output is. (not only
the applications should start correctly, but they should also handle the files
correctly)
snr-001: Entering the password is not needed when testing via LiveCD, this
should be mentioned.
snr-002: Executing more than 30 cycles of sleep/wakeup could lead to hardware
damage, limiting the cycles to 5 should be really enough!
him-001: It is not clear, if this applies only to internal card readers only.
khk-001: The expected behaviour is, that Ubuntu also shows the volume meter on
screen; but on many older machines the volume is adjusted, but the user is not
given appropiate (visual) feedback. This should be included in this test case
as well, to spot the affected machines.
hsi-001: the media file "fables_01_01_aesop.spx" seems to be outdated, there
is other media included in 10.10; It should be also verified, that the sound
plays correctly and does not produce any stottering
hhi-001: see hsi-001
his-001: Changing refresh rate not covered
his-001: (video in general) there is no test case to test for fluent video
playback (maybe except exc-001)
bfu-001: Not clear, what is meant by app - is this the whole operating system?
hpu-002: Ubuntu has various bugs regarding wrong paper size (especially A4 vs.
letter) in some drivers, this should be verified here as well.
hpu-002, hds-001, hds-002, hds-003, hds-004 : missing here - at least some of
them should be included into LaptopTesting as well, this is pretty important
for many mobile users

Other, general aspects:
* the template for the Laptop entries
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Laptop/Reports/Template) is *very*
incomplete. Most people seem to include info like lshw output, dmidecode
details etc. - why is this all missing in the template? Therefore, instead of
re-using the template, testers have to copy/paste the structure around from
existing reports.
* the main wiki page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Laptop/Reports) has no
consistency regarding the naming of the tested "editions"

It would make testing Ubuntu (Pre-)Releases a much more pleasant experience,
if you could update the test plan and look into the mentioned issues. I
strongly believe there are much more people out there who would be willing to
contribute to systematic Laptop Testing, but finding the wiki pages and test
plan in the current (not very useable) state could be pretty frustrating.

Regards, Daniel