Next week is RC, start downloading today!

Steve Beattie sbeattie at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 20 22:29:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 02:15:16PM +0200, Ara Pulido wrote:
> As you may know, Thursday 22nd October we are releasing Ubuntu 9.10
> Release Candidate. This is a very important milestone, as it will be
> very similar to final Ubuntu 9.10 (between them, only very critical
> fixes will be accepted).
>
> To help in RC testing, you will need an account in the ISO tracker [1].
> This blog post is useful as starting guide:
>
>      http://tinyurl.com/yjujh6c
>
> Also, one of the common complains about ISO testing is that, when the
> call for testing is done, it takes too long to download the ISOs for
> that candidate image.
>
> Preparing today for that moment couldn't be easier:
>
> dl-ubuntu-test-iso is a script, available as part of the
> ubuntu-qa-tools, that downloads Ubuntu (+ Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc) ISO
> images for testing purposes. The script uses rsync, which means that the
> second time you run it, it only downloads the changes to each ISO. So,
> if you use it today, and keep running it every day (or every couple of
> days), you will be already set up to help when the candidates images for
> RC start appearing.
>
> You will need a configuration file to tell the script which images your
> interested in. I have prepared a configuration file for Karmic [2]. You
> will only need to edit it to select which architectures and flavours
> you're interested in. Save it in you home folder as .dl-ubuntu-test-iso
>
> Once you have save the configuration file get the ubuntu-qa-tools from
> its bazaar repository:
>
>       $ bzr branch lp:ubuntu-qa-tools

Actually, unless you're planning on modifying the tools, it's probably
better to initially do:

	$ bzr checkout lp:ubuntu-qa-tools

instead, so that 'bzr up' will pull in fixes that are committed to the
ubuntu-qa-tools tree; making it a branch initially requires bzr
merge'ing to keep the tree updated. For example, I've fixed a coupleof
minor issues since your announcement went out.

That said, improvements to that script or any of the tools in that tree
are highly appreciated.

>       $ ./ubuntu-qa-tools/dl-ubuntu-test-iso/dl-ubuntu-test-iso.py
>
> That will save your testing images at ~/iso. And they will get updated
> every time you run the scripts (only if the images have changed).
>
> Testing will be coordinated from Tuesday in #ubuntu-testing and you can
> start subscribing to the ISO tracker page, so you can be informed when
> the new images start to appear. Any doubts, please, contact me directly.
>
> Thanks and happy testing!
> Ara.
>
> [1] http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com
> [2] http://people.canonical.com/~ara/dl-ubuntu-test-iso.sample-cfg